Pretending You’re Oppressed: The New Internet Fad (via mohandasgandhi)
(and a lot of those real voices are also on the internet and are not to be mistaken for the above-mentioned silly internet people)
My (humainsvolants) comment begins here:
Maybe I didn’t understood this right but is this again one of those posts claiming that otherkin and other weird identified people are claiming oppression and causing all the internet to forget that real oppressed people exist ?
Because this is just Wrong!
as far as I know.
1) Most Otherkins and other people whose identities are considered silly are actually not claiming to be oppressed, I don’t think a whole group of people should be ridiculed or accused just because of what is said by a few of them.
2) I didn’t see all of this by myself, but according to what I heard those who do have written some of the most egregious things (I hope I used the right word, my english is not perfect.) under the identity of otherkins were actually trolls creating entire blogs pretending to be otherkins to mock them ! So it seems to me that here, it’s actually the mocking people who are trivializing oppression, not the mocked!
3) The idea that only rich white cis straight neurotypical able-bodied people have these identities is a fallacy, did you know that the people I learned about these identities from where people of colour, trans and/or disabled ?
4) Even if the word oppression may seems too much, I don’t think it’s an excuse to trivialize the very real issues and hatred these people have gone through because of their identities by pretending that they are all just a bunch of bored privileged people just trying to look special… I do think that oppression or not, regularly receiving death threats on the internet is a f°cking serious matter… and should I mention that I know of at least one case where people attempted to KILL someone because this person happened to be otherkin and another person was raped because she outed herself as otherkin… these are act of hatred, this is serious!!!
5) I also think the quote is completely missing the point, if people forget the existence of oppression I don’t think it’s because of “silly people appropriating oppression” really oppressive people or people who want to deny their privileges use this argument to justify themselves being oppressive or not giving a shit!, It seems to me that this is a very common tactics used even against people who are from a group that is unarguably oppressed, using the example of someone from that group who has said or done silly or actually wrong thing, or used fallacious argument, as an excuse to dismiss the entire group and the oppression they may be facing. I think that actually respectuous decent people won’t brush off the entire possibility of the existence of oppression just because one person one day happened to wrongfully pretend to be oppressed.
6) Also I think it’s rally f°ck°d up and wrong to condone the mocking and the bullying of an entire group of persons under the pretense that some of them ayed something that was wrong and problematic.
Arguing is fine, but TO MOCK AND BULLY THE IDENTITY OF PEOPLE OPPRESSED OR NOT, WHO DIDN’T DO ANY HARM JUST BY EXISTING I FIND IT UTTERLY WRONG, ESPECIALLY IF THESE PEOPLE ARE A MINORITY AND ARE NOT IN POWER
I DON’T THINK THAT THE AMOUNT OF HATE AND HORRORS THAT SOME OPPRESSED PEOPLE HAVE TO DEAL WITH ON A DAILY BASIS SHOULD EVER BE USED TO DISMISS CONCERNS WITH PROBLEMS THAT WHILE LESSER ARE STILL VERY REALS. SOME PEOPLE GET PTSD OR COMMIT SUICIDE BECAUSE OF BULLYING, SOME PEOPLE SPEND THEIR ENTIRE LIVES HIDING, PRETENDING THEY ARE SOMEONE ELSE TO EVEN THE CLOSEST PEOPLE THEY HAVE IN THEIR LIVES BECAUSE THEIR IDENTITIES SOUND “SILLY” AND THEY FEAR THE MOCKERY AND BULLYING. I DON’T THINK THAT THE FACT THAT SOME PEOPLE LIVE EVEN INFINITELY WORST THINGS SHOULD MAKE US BELITTLE THIS, TO THE CONTRARY I THINK WE SHOULD WORK ALL THE WAY TO NOT ONLY ABOLISH ALL THE WORST KIND OF OPPRESSIONS BUT ALSO ALL THE OTHER F°CK°D UP KIND OF BIGOTRY THAT CAN CAUSE SO MUCH HARM OR RUIN LIVES… ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU REALIZE THAT THERE IS A LINK IN THE PREMISES OF ALL THIS SHIT.
SO I AGREE THAT WE SHOULDN’T FORGET ABOUT REAL INDUBITABLE CASES OF OPPRESSION BUT I DISAGREE THAT IN ORDER TO DO THAT WE HAVE TO PISS ON “ALL THOSE SILLY INTERNET WEIRD-IDENTITIES PEOPLE”