[Conversation snipped, but in short, reasons why I’m not supporting the film “Bully”]
So you’re deciding not to support a movie that’s trying to make people aware of the effects of bullying, because its not catering to your needs? That’s what I’m getting at here.
Before I even read the continued comments by other Tumblr followers, ^ that comment is exactly what was going through my mind. The one that said, because the film isn’t catering to your needs you’re not supporting the movie. I don’t even know what to add, because it seems they won’t get it. The film’s one goal here is to make aware bullying, OF ALL KINDS!! ….some people
Exactly. The film isn’t about raising Autism awareness. Should they have some sort of mention of his Autism? Sure. But his Autism is apart of him. Its not who he is. And thus, the film shouldn’t focus on that. Merely the fact that he’s an individual who has had his school life ruined by bullying. I think these people who are getting salty need to grow up.
‘Kay so you seem to be missing the point. Let me break it down for you:
- The reasons for why Tyler Long was bullied are traits associated with autism, such as a speech impediment (this is just one example, but generally autistic people are mocked for so-called “strange” behaviors).
- Erasing his autism in the film erases why he was bullied.
- Mentioning his autism does not make the film “about autism”. How many times do I have to say this?!
- We get it, the film is about bullying. Mentioning that Tyler Long was autistic doesn’t take away from the message. Okay like seriously? Making someone accurate to who he was in real life “takes away from the message”? What the fuck?
- I’m not asking they re-do the film, I’m asking for them to be accountable for their actions. I’m asking for them to say “Hey, we screwed up, and we’re truly sorry for that.” rather than “THIS IS ABOUT BULLYING AND AUTISM TAKES AWAY FROM THE MOVIE AND OMG WE SUPPORT AUTISM SPEAKS SO GOOD ENOUGH!”. Like holy shit, is it really THAT HARD to make a sincere apology? Add to this: they’re fucking hypocrites for being anti-bullying but supporting Autism Speaks, an organization that promotes fear-mongering towards autism. An organization that has filmed a mother next to her child saying that she could MURDER her child because she’s autistic. How can you be anti-bullying when you support that shit??
I’m fucking MAD because you know what? You allistics GET to see yourself accurately represented in the media. When autistics see ourselves in the media, it’s either portraying us as burdens or, at best, portraying us as Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory (which really isn’t entirely accurate either). I’m tired of autism being erased or being fetishized. I was fucking bullied as a kid. I don’t think it would hurt a 13-year-old autistic kid who feels isolated as fuck and desperate for attention to see someone like themselves in a film. ESPECIALLY knowing that bullying often happens to autistic people. WHY would it hurt to say “bullying against autistics is BAD”? What fucking harm would that do? Fucking none. Why does it scare you so much? Is the idea of inclusion REALLY that fucking horrible to you? No? Then shut the fuck up and LISTEN for once.
^^ THIS, THIS, THIS. This kid was bullied because of who he was. Who he was was an autistic kid. It is no more acceptable to leave out the fact that he was autistic than it is acceptable to leave out the fact that Tyler Clementi was gay.
Fucking allistics bathing in their privilege and don’t even know it. How nice to be able to be THAT oblivious.
also never mind that Autism Speaks have been downright bullies to autistic people online. There was a case where they threatened to sue copyright infringement on an autistic teen for a parody site, even though no money was being made from the site and it’s legal under terms of parody. Apparently though, it was impacting their “sales”, like A$ isn’t suppose to be non-profit.
Or why they’ve deleted comments from their Facebook page, have banned autistic people from commenting, etc.
yes yes! I’ve also had them try to shut me up via PR twitter. Didn’t work, I’m a bitch when it comes to this and I have a keyboard to talk through. They kept wanting to take the conversation to face-to-face, eliminating the public eyes and my ease of communication.
(Trigger Warning : ableism, mention of bullying)